Monday, 29 April 2019

Painting The Front Of The House

Be sure to follow much more regular updates at

After six years of staring at this horrific colour scheme, it was time to finally get the exterior colours sorted. As much as I hate this cement pebbledash, a new lime render finish is a bit of a waste when much more important jobs require completing, so some fresh paint will suffice for now.

The main paint used was Dulux Weathershield on the cement and reveals, Johnstones acrylic on the door columns and fanlight and Farrow & Ball exterior eggshell on the front door and windows. 

The main colour on the pebbledash is Dulux Weathershield Sandstone. The reveals are Innisfail:

A lot of prep was required, including filling the lower sections of the wall and stripping the reveals:

The front door undercoated:

Painting the gutters black:

I stripped the ground floor window sill back to the original granite, the rest of them still have to be done:

I love the colours on the front door, perfect!

Monday, 25 February 2019

Hallway Ceiling Rose Restoration

Remember to follow all progress on Intragram!

Upon purchase of the house, the hallway ceiling rose resembled several non-descript  blobs of paint on the ceiling. Micheal Daly of Plaster Moldings had a little tinker with it for 20 minutes after finishing the restored cornicing, unearthing a fully intact original plaster leaf:

I had a go myself subsequently, followed by the painters, but it became more and more brittle as time went on. Micheal came back and offered to restore it for FREE! He refused to take any money from me and had it done in about 90 minutes flat:

Some of the pieces that fell off when the painters were working on it:

Micheal decided to remove it entirely, pick away the 200 years of paint and then reinstate it with plaster of Paris:

The rose discoloured at first with the first few coats of paint:

Absolutely delighted with the end result!

Sunday, 3 February 2019

Spare Room Decoration

Since migrating to Instagram with all updates, the blog has been neglected. But in case you haven't been kept up to date, view more recent updates at the link below and don't forget to follow!

The small bedroom upstairs in the return had been put on the long finger for some time, so it was time to get the joinery finished and get the room decorated.

This was the original Victorian architrave which was removed some 5 years ago when renovations started. It had to be altered slightly as the doorway has shifted about 20cm to the left to make way for the small toilet on the right of the opening:

The door on the right is the new small WC. This was originally the hot press with the hot water cylinder:

The original Victorian door was stripped, sanded and primed, then rehung:

This is the new door I had made to match the original beside it:

I then began painting the inside using two of Colourtrends paints. I love this light pastel green:

This skirting was repurposed from elsewhere in the house, I believe it was in one of the usptairs rooms. It's quite a bit later than the original house, likely 1900 or so:

I choose to paint the ceiling the same colour as the walls seeing as it's at such a low level:

The window required a lot of work, it's now fully restored. I then set about getting these wall lights rigged up: