Tuesday 16 October 2018

Laying A New Granite Sett Patio

Follow my new Instagram page for much more frequent updates!
https://www.instagram.com/georgianrenovation/

I decided I wanted to sort the permanent mess outside my back door once and for all. We were also experiencing a surprisingly pleasant summer, so if I didn't sort it now, it would be another year before I could get it done:


I started digging down and laid a course of hardcore. The huge granite rock you see has been in the garden since I bought the house, I haven't had the heart of energy to get rid of it!



String lines set the level:




It would have made far more sense to get hardcore and sand delivered by the tonne, however I ended up going with 20-25kg bags bought locally:



I went with tumbled granite setts, bought from Natural Stone Ireland outside Kells. Absolutely beautiful pieces:






I began laying the outside course in cement mortar, 3:1:





Then a dry mix of cement and course sand, 8:1:




Another string line was dragged down the courses as I progressed to maintain the levels left to right:






I kept going right up to sun-down.





I then laid some white stones either side, in which I will likely set some green plants. I used pointing fuge to fill the gaps between the setts, which sets hard after a few days and binds everything together:




See a timelapse of the process here:


2 comments:

  1. What a difference from when you first showed this part of the yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good enough for me that I found this wonderful and interesting blog. I want to keep reading this blog so better to keep writing,-
    Renovations in Richmond

    ReplyDelete